Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Bouquets




My garden is flourishing, and so is our landscaping in the front of the house. Some mornings, instead of weeding or watering or spreading hay, I come out to my little garden and cut flowers. Bachelor's Buttons are in full splendor, there are daisies and queen anne's lace in abundance in the field, and Mama's hydrangeas are blooming with billowy blue and purple blossoms. The poppies are a mystery to me. They are growing in my garden but I never planted them, and they don't usually come up wild around here. Probably a case of long-ago seeds finally waking up. Whatever the cause, I am glad that I have poppies. I love to tuck them into bouquets and watch them unfold their silky orange petals as the day goes by. In the evening they wrap themselves up again to look like little candle flames, keeping themselves safe for the night. It's amazing to me that they do this even when I keep them up in the Glow-light room where, in spite of the name, it stays quite dim for a good portion of the day (the window faces west). Hopefully next year there will be even more of the gorgeous golden things.

No comments:

Post a Comment