Wednesday, July 31, 2013

August on Crescent Hill

"Home sweet home!" Sighed Ladybird as the train neared the Portland side of the Colombia River.We don't go to Portland very often, but it is a city I'm somewhat familiar with, and it is in Oregon, therefore I felt at home. I smiled at the shape of the tall buildings, the shape of the hills, the shape of the fir trees which are such a part of my home state. Me and Ladybird had gone home with cousins after the family reunion (which was a wonderful one, by the way) and stayed with them for a week. It was a good time, and I am so glad I was able to spend it with them, but home is my favorite place in all the world; it's hard to imagine being any more excited than I was when we entered Portland, then Oregon City, then Canby, and finally Salem. We had to wait extra long in our "home" train station (I found that the longer I was in it, the less familiar it felt) but finally Bethany and Cassio arrived and we all went home.
Coming back to Hilltop Manor, we celebrated Cassio's birthday with mocha cheesecake and a rather quiet, though very content, evening together (those of us who are here, at least). I longed to go on a walk after the long train ride, but by the time I was ready it was too dark and late, so I managed to wait until this morning.
I spent time with Mama and Gavin when I woke up, and then I went out to look around at all my dear home places. I discovered that the blackberries are ripe, so I picked some for our pancake breakfast. Blackberries are nostalgic for me, as well as being my favorite berry, so coming home to find Crescent Hill (the hill at the bottom of our driveway) abundant with them made my morning ever so wonderful.
Today is the last day of July. I had a great two weeks away at the Quail's Nest and with cousins, the train ride was interesting and fun, but I couldn't be happier to be home at last, just in time to start off August with blackberry picking and the renewal of my sweet, good life at home!


No comments:

Post a Comment