Sunday, September 13, 2015

Two Weekends

Last weekend was spent celebrating Mama's birthday at our favorite haunt--a quiet, rustic cabin tucked away in the shelter of the cascade foothills. We were so happy to relax there, just being together (and holding my peaceful, newborn nephew!), enjoying the river sounds and the clean mountain air. Me and Daddy even found time to go on a wonderful run up and (painfully) back down the mountain at our doorstep. We were so enthralled with the scenery on top of the ridge that, the next day, we took G up  there to explore, this time in our car. We found a beautiful glacier lake that was cold and blue and perfect for skipping rocks across.
Just as we were happy to hide away at the cabin last weekend, we are happy to be home now. I finished my second school week, plummeting from the heights of scholarly excitement to the plateau of a high-schooler catching up after Labor Day. I had to transfer one book (a very good book by Don Richardson) from my "school reading" list to my "to be read whenever I have spare time" list, which means that it will take an eternity to get through.  I groaned and vowed I would never take another holiday, if it meant so many extra hours of reading. But I'm sure I will. However, I hope that next time I'll catch up a little faster. For now, a good Sunday at home-ish. Which means lots of time writing, being in nature, and reading some Don Richardson!

No comments:

Post a Comment