Friday, September 4, 2015

Back to School (and a few good books)



My school-days begin with these:


And end here:

But between the running shoes and the bedside table are about fifteen hours of wonder. Honestly, it's exhausting. I have rediscovered that tiredness that comes from real labor (whether mental or physical) and consequently can enjoy the deliciousness of falling quickly to sleep each night, tired and satisfied with the day. The wonder is well worth the exhaustion: my school curriculum is a treasure trove of excellent literature that helps my roots to grow deeper and my fingertips to reach up among the stars. The Human Body: Fearfully and Wonderfully Made, by Dr. Jay L. Wile and Marilyn M. Shannon, M.A., is a perfect fit for this final year of high school, since I have always been excited about health and fitness, and plan on studying exercise science next year. I'm hoping to develop a solid foundation of knowledge in anatomy and physiology throughout the next few months, at least enough to prepare me somewhat for the college level courses to come. I am working through three government/politics works: The Complete Idiots Guide to U.S. Government & Politics (Franco Scardino), God and Politics (edited by Gary Scott Smith) and Basic American Government by Clarence B. Carson. I used to dread any politically-oriented discussion or article that popped up because I didn't understand them. I still don't understand them, but I am now on the way to understanding, and enjoying the journey. I'm also reading William Zinsser's On Writing Well, 100 Best-Loved Poems, edited by Philip Smith, The Elements of Style (William Strunk JR. and E.B. White) and (my personal favorite) Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren's How to Read a Book. I've always enjoyed reading, but that last has broadened my perspective considerably on the topic of reading, and over the past week I have already discovered some great tips on reading effectively.
I wasn't ready for school to start this year. But I am ever so glad that it has! If you need a good read, please consider one of the seven that I've mentioned--they really are good.



No comments:

Post a Comment